Pages

Friday, June 23, 2017

An inauspicious start

An inauspicious start


I pride myself on being an excellent vacation planner, but somehow none of my vacations seem to start on a very auspicious note. The last time my wife and I took a similarly long vacation, we were stalled by protesters at the Bangkok airport, and at the last minute we had to take detour via Singapore to begin our vacations. It bled us the extra dollars and well, wasnt much fun! Till last night, it seemed that our vacation was blessed by the gods. Speaking of gods, theres a saying,"Man proposes, god disposes!". Im not sure god had much of a hand to play in this, but heres what happened. We had tickets to travel by the 1715 train to Trivandrum so we could then catch the Sunday flight to KL. For some reason, Id entered the 2145 train on my Tripit itinerary and my wife and I planned our day at office with that assumption. So well, you can imagine the fiasco thereafter - we reached the train station in the hope of catching the train, only to know that Im actually a crap planner and wed missed our train hours back.

Well, I wasnt going to allow our vacation to be derailed (pun intended) by such a minor setback. So, autoride back home, some time on the internet and we had air tickets to Trivandrum. And so, this morning we got on the 1020 Air India flight to Trivandrum - our destination, Kovalam beach. Does that sound awesome? Not quite! Well, Kovalam beach isnt the best place to visit during the monsoons. Its off season, most places are shut tight, the area has almost a deserted, sleepy look and every picture of the beach looks like you took it with a badly scratched lens. We took some time out to tuck in a very heavy meal of chicken, beef, fish and porrotas though the oil didnt seem to do much good to my tummy. Anyways - I spent a good part of the evening in the hotel swimming pool. And now, Im tired, cranky, bored and Im waiting to take my flight out - 0800 this morning, Im outta here! Gotta set that alarm.

Available link for download